Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Tacy's Gift

Chris T. lives around the corner from the Belmont Stumptown. I love this guy. he is super neurotic and crazy about coffee, the process, the barista craft and the roasting. He is someone that would totally out-do me in the coffe geekdom catergory and I love him for that. He is totally obsessive about it, and these days, it's nice to find someone to really break stuff down with every once in a while. i wish I had more time to talk to him about coffee. Anyway, he came in and saw I was using a heavy tamper...asked to see my hand and said he would be right back that afternoon with something for me, something about a tamper he never uses.



So this tamper was custom made for him and Bronwen Serna. This is perfect. A little smaller than a regular reg barber and not so tiny as the super reg barber that Tooker uses a Ritual. The handle is thick and smooth and literally fits my hand like it was made for me. It's heavy too, which is why Chris doesn't use it. So it was a gift from him, which I appreciated and consider it a late wedding present. :)

It's the little things. Really, it is.

I'm getting used to working on the Mistrals. I am getting used to the preinfusion again on the machines and trying to get used to different nuances you get with the different quality of the water up here. The fruit notes are insane in the Hair Bender, where as at Ritual, you definitely got more of the nutty, cinammon and DRIED fruit notes at the end. You know, the longer I do this barista thing, the more I realize that one has to be adaptable, and willing to try different things without feeling like you are sellin' out or out of your element. It's all about transferring what you know, tweaking some stuff and always experimenting. All this, to get that beautiful shot of goodness.

and just wanna give a shout out to my homies on the east coast who got a little ditty on the NY Times. Word.

New Wave in NY.

It's about damn time people took notice.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike White said...

hoo rah! nice tamper Freakin...

10:46 AM  
Blogger TopoTail said...

Hi Gabe--

I'm enjoying your online chronicle of your move to the Northland and ever expanding appreciation of coffeedom. Glad to hear you're bonding with Chris. (Nice tamper.)

--Richard

8:32 PM  
Blogger E. Meister said...

Sweet tamper, and a sweet post. I love reading about your adjustment and perception of Portland.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Mike Strumpf said...

i know you posted this a month ago, but that tamper looks a whole lot like this one: http://www.espressoparts.com/product/30EP5_WOOD_BULBINGA

9:15 AM  
Blogger Mike Strumpf said...

okay, that link didn't work, so i'll break it down into two lines:
http://www.espressoparts.com/product/
30EP5_WOOD_BULBINGA

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home